Monday, September 02, 2013

Addiction

Whenever I get addicted to something, the rest of my life falls apart. Sometimes it’s a particular friend, sometimes its one specific song, sometimes it’s a book. My latest addiction was a novel by Jodi Picoult - 'Nineteen Minutes'. The two people that I have talked to about this novel read it sometime between the ages of twelve and seventeen, which is slightly embarrassing. The deepest English novel I've read during that age was probably some drug addiction novel by John Marsden.

Now that I've finished this one, I don't particularly feel like reading another novel of hers any time soon. I think its because she explains her characters so well that to introduce myself with new characters in the same style of writing will be a struggle. My mind will feel like it’s a continuation of the previous book but will rationally know that it's a whole new story.

I've forgotten what I learnt about addiction in physiological psychology last year. But I think there needs to be one of two things done if one wants to get away from an addiction: have closure, or, get addicted to something else. I think most of us choose the second option - we want to drown out our sorrows with chocolate, or that song we used to listen to as a teenager. I choose this one too, but I know that the more effective ending is to have a closure. To know that there is nothing to be done to continue being addicted. Like, knowing that the novel ended.

When it comes to becoming un-addicted from people, closures are much harder to achieve. I suppose the way it can be done is talking things out with the person/people involved, not keeping anything in your heart that can pass off as something unsaid, something that you must carry around with you for a long time.

I think the reason why we get addicted to something is because we feel like we'll be directionless without it. Which is true for a while, but at the end of the day, no one/nothing else in this world can really set our directions except ourselves. And until we do, we just have to fake it till we make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment