Friday, January 03, 2014

Things that are happening

I went out with a bunch of friends last week - to Wattamolla beach. It was one of those days that I was able to relax and enjoy the beauty, as well as scream, splash, eat and have one of the best times of my life. The people that I went with - I can imagine having most of them in my life for a very long time. I came back home late, with aching muscles, a badly sunburnt face, a cold and an almost empty wallet. But it was still one of the best days of my life.

The following day, I went to an overnight program for little girls, which, should have been fun, but turned out to be more annoying than anything else. Our target audience was seven to fourteen year old girls, but some of the mothers sat very close and talked away. This didn't seem to bother anyone else, but all I kept thinking was that the point is being lost. Anyway, so, I went home, and came back early the next day with Z. Spent the entire day feeling disoriented, and later realised I have come down with the flu. The problem was - Z is under my care now because her mother has some other immediate commitments she needs to tend to. So, as I lay down with a blocked nose, a headache and the occasional cough, all I could think of was that Z wasn't being taken care of by me. And then I started to think how mothers are not allowed to be sick, and even if they do fall sick, they aren't allowed to stop the world and lie in bed. It added to the list of things that mothers do on a daily basis that we so often do not appreciate. 

TA and I have been talking about "wot iz love". I told that girl to start a blog, but she wouldn't, so I shall just praise her in mine and hope she never reads this. She has an incredible mind, an appreciative heart and an honest soul. She is one of those people that would make you smile just by her presence, without any pretence. We share similar tastes in movies and books, and possibly tea (we shall find out about that last one soon!). 

I am going to a friend's nikkah tomorrow inshaallah! The couple finished their first year of university this year. I love the fact that they are keeping it nice and simple at this stage. They kind of fulfil everything that I talk about in terms of marriage: a) both are pretty young; b) they are getting married at the mosque, with nothing fancy; c) both are pure hearted people who try their best to as much good as they can, as far as I see; d) they come from different cultures. They are one of the many examples I see around me of how ideas change people. People like them inspire me to keep working on solidifying my ideas and inspire others to change theirs. 

I don't think I will get much sleep over the next few days. There's 2 hours till fajr. I originally stayed up because I thought something was due at the end of this week, when in fact, it's due at the end of next. So when I realised it wasn't, I started writing here. Now I'm scared to sleep, because if I sleep, I would want to sleep more. But if I don't sleep, I might die from lack of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment