Thursday, August 26, 2010

A flower unplucked is but left to the falling

One of my followers have stopped following me. Now I have five followers instead of six. The tragic thing is I can't remember who it was. Was it MM? Or Emu?

I really like Yeats. And Frost. Frost makes me smile, Yeats makes my heart skip a bit. I have finally read the poem that ends with 'I have spread my dreams beneath your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.' Its called 'He wishes for the clothes of Heaven'.

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with the golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams beneath your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

I think, if someone treads hard on your dreams, they do not deserve you.

I also read Television by Roald Dahl recently. I like it, because, we currently do not have a TV. I mean, we have a TV set, but its not set up, so we cannot watch it.

It has already been sixteen days of Ramadan. Time is flying, quicker than usual! That is something worth noting, since it usually flies very fast. I have two exams next Wednesday, one assignment due, soon, one exam (for a subject which I have not started studying for at all!) in two and a half weeks and several things in between. I can't believe tomorrow is Friday, again. It seems like last Friday was only moments ago!

I find it so amazing how we can waste so much time yet complain about how time flies by. And it is extreme hard to do otherwise - have you realised? For example, when you are doing something that you must get done (e.g.: an assignment that you are stuck in, two-hour lectures, praying when your mind is not in it), time seems to go very slowly. Yet, when you are sleeping, or eating, or entertaining yourself on the internet, half an hour seems to be equivalent to five minutes. In fact, usually, these units of time seem arbitrary. Its how long it feels that matters, not how long something actually takes.

Unfortunately, life is full of time limits, since life itself is for a limited time.

I was asked by Miffy, what I want to do with my life. I couldn't answer her. But then, I thought about it. And I think I know what I want. Its nothing fancy, like SS, who is very brave to dream of what she's dreaming of. That poem of Yeats may seem like a lover's poem, but to me, it seems like something a parent would say to his or her child. They have so many dreams, naive and silly dreams, sometimes, dreams which must be tread upon softly.

But, hold fast to your dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly!

Speaking of birds - we have random spotted doves flying around our house. They sit on the ledges and call out. They fly towards the windows, pause, then fly back, disappointed that the clarity is actually a barrier. They are beautiful creatures that brighten my day. Sunlight through my windows in the afternoon also brightens my day. And the moonlight - it showers my bed every morning at four AM.

Alhamdulillah, Allah accepted one of my duas today, the same dua that I made last Thursday. Yet, I am feeling like my mind is beginning to wonder off from prayer again, I am losing the feeling of love I felt a few days back.

A reminder that we all need:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The slave will receive a response so long as his dua does not involve sin or severing of family ties, and so long as he is not hasty.” It was said, “What does being hasty mean?” He said: “When he says, ‘I made dua and I made dua, and I have not seen any response,’ and he gets frustrated and stops making dua.”

Sometimes, things feel so impossible, yet we just have to hold on, and keep asking.

Therefore, pluck thy flowers, since nothing is gained by not gathering roses!

3 comments:

  1. you know I really like the hadith you wrote at the end of the post. I feel surprised that how has he (rasulullah (may peace be upon him) realized what his followers will do once the prayer is not replied soon enough to please them.
    nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lamia, it was me who stopped following you. I didn't know I was that invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous: I really liked that hadith the first time I saw it too, yes, it touches on one of the most innate and inevitable fears everyone has. Thank you for reading!

    smilitude: blogger stopped showing you as a follower a very long time ago, so I'm pretty sure its another person who stopped too. Following anonymously means that no one else can see that you are following someone.

    ReplyDelete